Tuesday 28 February 2017

Addiction vs. Obsession: Take A Break


My dearest, internet people.

I love words. Words fascinate me. The fact that we can use two words interchangeably but they mean something completely different baffles me. You could say I am obsessed with words. Or addicted to them. Huh. This is my predicament, or part of it.

See what I am trying to determine is the difference when someone says, "I am obsessed with this song!" versus "This song is so addictive!"

Addiction defined as above is, the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. So one person can be addicted to a song, without being obsessed?

Obsession is defined as the state of being obsessed with someone or something. Well, that doesn't really help! The alternate definition is, an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind. That's better.

So they are quite similar. But I think addiction is more the act of needing something, a synonym is 'dependency'. So feeling compelled to listen to the song over and over, and being essentially addicted!

While obsession is wanting to listen to the song over and over, and having it on your mind. And a synonym is .... addiction.

Ah, well maybe they are the same thing in the context I keep thinking of.

It might make more sense now why I started the post in such a way. Hamilton: An American Musical is so addictive! And I am definitely obsessed.


I have my favourite songs and honestly it is constantly changing anyway. (Satisfied, Helpless, Guns And Ships, Dear Theodosia, One Last Time, Burn, Take A Break, ...)

The introduction of this post (and the title) is a reference to Angelica's part in Take A Break.

[ANGELICA:]
In a letter I received from you two weeks ago
I noticed a comma in the middle of a phrase
It changed the meaning. Did you intend this?
One stroke and you've consumed my waking days
It says:

[HAMILTON/ANGELICA:]
“My dearest Angelica”

[ANGELICA:]
With a comma after “dearest”
You've written

[HAMILTON AND ANGELICA:]
“My dearest, Angelica.”

It is a part that often sticks with me.

I will not go off on too much of a tangent. Hamilton is for another blog post. (Be expecting it, or not. Who knows. I might go off on a crazy tangent about it or not. You won't know until I do.)

So that wraps it up. Addiction and Obsession are so similar that they're synonymous. I am addicted to and obsessed with Hamilton: An American Musical.

Keep Smiling Beautifuls,
Naddy xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment